2 Rankers Reviews
188 Freedom Camping
Freedom campers are asked to assist by:
- removing all rubbish, solid or liquid waste from the camping site when leaving
- disposing of rubbish, recycling, and waste at approved sites
- using appropriate toileting facilities
- ensuring that all pets are appropriately controlled
- abiding by all Council bylaws including barbecue use, camp fires, noise and animal control
South Island ▷ Canterbury ▷ Oxford
Rob & Colleen Elwood
The West Oxford Reserve (AKA The Eyre River) is a flat parking and picnic spot just outside of Oxford. It has no facilities and no water supply but is kept tidy and is well cared for with tree plantings and picnic tables. The Inland Scenic road marks one boundary of the site and traffic is often heavy .. especially at weekends. Large trucks and milk-tankers rumble past in the night. This is a useful and fairly attractive free stopover on the way to somewhere else. The Eyre river is usually bone dry and is frequented by 4x4 cowboys. A lot of people use the reserve for walking their dogs .. there are no poop bins .. beware.
Save up to 70% on campsite fees! Support conservation and experience the natural beauty of NZ. 78 Department of Conservation campsites, one convenient pass.
What a lovely place, lovely view, there is a main road, so we’ll see what it’s like tonight.
Our dog could run free chasing his ball.
The grass was mowed, a little dusty from the gravel road, but only when somebody drives past you.