2 Rankers Reviews
7 Te Aroha
The Hauraki Rail Trail showcases some of the best scenery New Zealand has to offer, rich in pioneering and cultural history.
One of the Great Rides under Nga Haerenga - The New Zealand Cycleway Project, the Hauraki Rail Trail is a 2 or 3 day ride, making it an ideal weekend experience. The trail can be started
from Paeroa, Te Aroha, Thames or Waikino and also offers a range of shorter riding options.
Key Attractions include:
• Karangahake Gorge – Follow the trail beside the sparkling Ohinemuri River
or take the Windows Walk and explore the remains of old stamper batteries.
• Paeroa – Taste “Lemon & Paeroa” ice cream and take a photo with the famous L&P bottle.
• Te Aroha – Finish your ride with a luxurious soak in a private mineral spa or splash in the outdoor heated leisure pools.
• Thames – Discover the town’s gold mining and logging history or explore the pohutukawa coastline.
• Waihi – Walk the Martha Mine Pit Rim Walkway and get up close and personal with the big boys toys of modern mining.
The trail’s easy gradient and close proximity to Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga make it an easily accessible weekend activity for
couples, families and people of all ages and riding abilities. The
district offers a wide range of accommodation options from luxury through to budget as well as some great restaurants, cafes and small town country pubs.
This trail is a partnership between the Hauraki District Council, the Matamata- Piako District Council, Thames Coromandel District Council the Department of Conservation and Nga Haerenga - The New Zealand Cycle Trail project.
Grade 1: Easy | Duration: 3 days | Total Length: 77km
CONTACT THE TE AROHA
I-SITE VISITOR CENTRE
for accommodation, cycle hire
North Island ▷ Waikato ▷ Te Aroha
Lots of different tracks, the bits close to Karangahake Gorge are the best! The tunnel is worthwhile.
Paeroa to Waikino Bike Trail. New bike/walking track recently opened by Hauraki District Council. Very popular. Wheelchair access in places.