15 Rankers Reviews
Call and discuss your needs.
Instant personal connection.
Credit card booking.
Hidden under the surface in Harrison Cove is a unique and beautiful environment – there’s nowhere else in the world quite like it. In the middle of Piopiotahi Marine Reserve, the Underwater Observatory enables you to experience the magic of this special world, previously the exclusive realm of divers.
Descend 64 steps (10 metres) underwater into a large, fully air conditioned viewing area where large windows with excellent optical clarity open your eyes to this deep underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it’s the people who are contained.
Why visit the Milford Discovery Centre?
- New Zealand’s only floating underwater observatory is a unique, interacting learning experience
- Be guided through the Milford Sound story on colourful information panels covering culture, heritage, history, geology and wildlife
- Watch dramatic Milford Road and Homer Tunnel avalanche videos
- Immerse yourself in a mysterious undersea world and encounter the extraordinary rare black coral and colourful sea creatures teeming just below the surface
- Thanks to its unique underwater environment, Milford Sound is home to species of black coral usually found at depths of more than 500 metres
South Island ▷ Fiordland ▷ Milford Sound - Fiordland National Park
Add on to any Southern Discoveries Milford Sound cruise, except the last cruise of the day. Entry is included on our Discover More Cruise. Please allow an additional 45-60 minutes.
Showing 8 reviews of 15.
Highly qualified and passionate personal guides. Great interactive experience of underwater eco system.
The tour in the Underwater Observatory was great. The woman talked so fascinatingly about the phenomenon and was just great. The boat tour was okay, the Sound spectacular.
Thank You - to the thousands of travellers that have contributed to our Top Voted NZ Activities Map - it's free from Rankers.
Discover More Cruise - worth the extra, not for the buffet lunch (though it was pretty good), but for the Discovery and Underwater Observatory. The cruise around the Sound is pretty standard but the Observatory not only gave history of the Sound but also the creatures that you can see around here.
Really recommend the early start to avoid the tourist busses.
Such a waste of money, there is nothing much to see, not worth paying for at all, it should be for free, even then we would have rathered miss it. We all spent most of our time sitting around waiting to be picked up again by the cruise boat.
It is not very big and you don't need much time but seeing coloured fish swim in between corals (living ones) is a unique experience. The actual underwater tank is only a 15 metre circumference walk.
So Cool! didnt relise how much beautiful sealife lays under the sound, and its so clear. Icing on the cake of Milford.