6 Rankers Reviews
Easily contact many companies.
Receive responses via email.
All within 24 hours.
Here is my explanation why ARA Rentals deserves 2/10 and you should not ever rent a vehicle from them:
1. Before I arrived in NZ, the owner did not respond to my email where I requested a copy of the terms of the "mandatory" insurance policy. The insurance policy was expensive, and did not provide as much coverage as a third party insurer would have covered for less money. Had he provided it, I would have insured myself from another insurance company.
2. On my first night, I discovered the van had leaks in the rain. One of them was through the back doors, and water fell directly on the bed.
3. On the third night, I had mice in my van. This occurred anytime I was camped near a beech forest, which was almost every night. I had many sleepless nights where I constantly had to remove mice from the van.
4. The windows did not open properly. Windows are important when you live in a van and cook food inside.
5. The van constantly had "warning" lights turning on and off. The owner told me when I rented the van to ignore them. What he didn't tell me, is that when a warning light is on, the van will not perform well at simple tasks, like going up hills.
6. The owner told me to drop off the van at the wrong location. As a result of his mistake, he almost made me miss my flight home, as the other location was over 30 minutes drive from the location he instructed me.
7. I caused some minor damage to the van. The owner told me it would cost approximately $300 when I dropped it off. He charged me over $600. He did not provide any receipts proving the repairs were made, but he did provide phoney quotations of repair estimates. I challenged this with my credit card company, and the owner refused to provide any additional information to them.
In short - New Zealand is awesome. Camping in New Zealand is really awesome. ARA Rentals is terrible. Spend your money elsewhere, and enjoy your time in New Zealand.
Serious mechanical failures lead to loss of holiday time on two occasions. The company were very quick to try and rectify the problem. Numerous ongoing irritations with this ageing vehicle affected the quality of our travels.
Family run business. Very friendly owner, reasonable prices, so far no complaints.
We booked through Motor Home Republic and as we had left booking until the last minute most of the big name companies were fully booked.
We decided to go with Ara Rentals and were very pleased that we did
Kelvin the owner of the company collected us from the airport and gave us a very detailed account of everything we needed to know about using the facilities and equipment supplied with the van
He supplied us with lots of maps and information
The van might not of been a new model but it more than fulfilled our requirements. the van never let us down and was very reliable
Kelvin met us again upon our return and took us back to the airport.
We felt sad to see our camper van leave us.
I would certainly recommend Ara Rentals as they are a family run concern and really do give the personal touch
It is a bit wobbly and it does not drive faster than 95km/h. So if you want to ride long distances this is not ideal. Other than that the car is clean and well equipped.
Dirk & Marlene
Poor suspensions, poor steering, uses lots of gas but charming.