About Rankers

FAQ's Rankers Campervan Rental

Why book your campervan with Rankers?

✔ Fast online quotes from top campervan companies test

✔ Crafted quotes from owner operators

✔ Independent travellers reviews since 2007

✔ Benefit from Rankers discount and privileges

✔ We assist you all the way

✔ No booking fee!

How do I get quotes from different rental campervan companies?

Using our form, you can request quotes online from our partners for your travel in New Zealand.
Once you have entered your travel details, you’ll have to enter your email address to create a login.
You’ll get fast online quote from top campervan companies, and you can view those quotes from your dashboard and book online directly.
You will also receive personalised quotes from owner operators directly by email.

Does the time of day I pick up or drop off my campervan affect the price?

Campervan rates (rental days) are calculated on a calendar day basis.

The first and last day of your rental, irrespective of the times of collection and return, are calculated as rental days.
It is because the vehicles cannot be rented on the same day as they need to be cleaned, maintained and checked.

What’s included in the quotes?

Insurance option

The standard insurance is always included in your quotes but the standard insurance does not cover liability. For more information about insurance option (see below).


All prices are in NZD.

Goods and Services Tax

The GST is always included.

What isn’t included in the quote?

Some fees are not included, but it will be specified as clearly as possible in the quotes you receive. Generally these fees are payable upon pick up at the agency.

Each rental campervan company is different, some fees have to be paid at the agency upon pick up of the vehicle like:
-One way hire fee
-Location fee
-Living equipment

As a rule, the options that are proposed by the campervan rental companies can also be paid upon pick up if you decide to take them at the last minute like:
-GPS, table and chairs, snow chains...

What is the credit card fee?

The 2.5% credit card fee that we charge for every credit card transaction is just covering the credit card processing and transaction fee that is billed to us by the credit card companies.
Even though this fee can get as high as 4% for international transaction, at Rankers we have decided to be fair and limit this cost to 2.5%.

Is the deposit refundable?

All booking deposits are non refundable, you are locking in a great price with the Rankers discount and need to make sure of your travel arrangements prior to confirming the booking, this is part of the reason that we recommend travel insurance.

Can I change my travel dates?

We are happy to change travel dates subject to availability when required but this can incur costs with variations/possible increases in daily rates and cancellation costs if reducing the period of rental.

Are there cancellation charges?

If you decide to cancel your booking, the included deposit is non-refundable. Depending on the operator, certain cancellation charges will apply.

When do I pay the remaining balance of my campervan booking?

The remaining balance of your hire is to be paid 35 days prior to pickup. You will receive a reminder email from us a few days before.
You can pay the balance via bank transfer, or by credit card.


Choosing an insurance is an important part of the booking process.

What is your recommendation about campervan insurance?

We strongly advise you to take an insurance option when you rent a campervan in New Zealand. If you don’t, and you have an accident and damage the campervan or if someone else damages the campervan, you’ll have to cover the excess which is usually several thousand dollars. The good news when you take the excess coverage insurance is you generally won’t have to pay any bond, the rental company will only take an imprint of your credit card.

Why can’t I just rely on my travel insurance to cover my campervan rental?

Some people think that if you take travel insurance, you are covered for your campervan rental. Read the fine print of your travel insurance policy very carefully. Most travel insurance policies cover illness, cancellation of your trip, delays, loss or damage of possessions, travel document and personal liability or accidents, but they don’t cover motor vehicles.

What is vehicle liability?

Vehicle liability is the maximum dollar amount (cost) per accident that the hirer is responsible for, should there be an accident. This includes damage to the rental vehicle and any third party property. The liability will vary according to the type of vehicles and the rental company, it can range from NZ$2000 to NZ$7500.

Do I need to pay a bond and how does it work?

If you opt for the standard insurance only, you will need to pay a bond at the start of your campervan hire to cover the liability of any damage to your campervan.
The bond is refunded once your campervan has been safely returned.
Be aware that most campervan rental companies will actually deduct the amount (which can be quite substantial) from your credit card. If you have a credit limit on your card, this can mean you have no money left for your campervan holiday! There’s also the risk of losing money on the exchange rate once the bond is refunded to you.
The good news is that when you take the excess coverage insurance (which covers liability), you won’t need to pay for a bond and the campervan rental companies will only take an imprint of your card and won’t deduct any money from your account.

What is the Standard Insurance and what does it cover?

Campervan rental companies include ‘standard’ insurance with your rental, this means that you're covered for accidental damage to the motorhome and public liability, as long as you're not negligent or irresponsible. You will be responsible to the cost of replacement or repair up to the excess.

Note that some companies deduct the excess amount from your credit card at the start of your trip and refund it at the end. Make sure you have enough funds available on your card to cover the excess as well as provide funds during your holiday. Also, be aware that you may lose out on the exchange rate when the excess is refunded.

What is Excess Insurance Coverage and is it important?

Most companies will give you a couple of options to reduce the excess amount that you will have to pay in case of any damage or waive it altogether. As well as considering rental prices when you’re doing your research about who to book with, make sure you check out their insurance options. These do vary between companies.
Many campervan rental company websites will have a grid which summarises their different insurance policies so you can see what’s included and what’s not. As a rule when you take the extra insurance you won’t have to pay any bond and the rental company will only take an imprint of your credit card.

What are the Road User Charges?

Road User Charges is a Government charge for diesel vehicles. The Road User Charge you pay is relative to the amount of kilometres you travel, and is payable at the end of your hire.
This fee is between $6.22 per 100km and $6.62 per 100km (depending on vehicle size).
You can view the government website Road User Charge rates here.

Are solar panels and dual battery essentials?

Most campervans are equipped with a dual battery system, so you can always start the engine, even if the second battery is flat. The battery can be charged while driving long distance, or if you plug the vehicle at a serviced campground.
The second battery will be used for the fridge, the water pump and the lights. You won't be able to use a portable fan heater or the microwave, or any appliances plugged in the DC outlet if the vehicle is not plugged in (at a serviced campground).
If you want to stay mainly in freedom / DOC campsites, we recommend you hire a campervan equipped with solar panels. Solar panels will help you maintain the battery.
The water is heated by gas, and the kitchen is usually equipped with a gas cooker.

What is a self-contained vehicle?

To meet the requirements to obtain self containment NZS 5465 and the certification sticker, the vehicle must have:
- Fresh water supply: 4l per person a day
- A sink Toilet: 1l per person a day
- Holding tank: 4l per person a day and monitored if capacity is less than the fresh water tank
- An evacuation hose
- A sealable refuse container with lid.

How often should we dispose of our waste?

When it comes to the disposing of your waste, it is vital to ensure this is done in a safe and environmentally friendly way. We recommend you dump your black water (contents from the toilet cassette) and the grey water (water from the shower and sink) every 2 or 3 days, most holiday parks have dump stations available to their guests.

How do I determine the number of people that can stay in a campervan, with the number of seat belts or with the sleeping capacities?

Each campervan rental has a recommended sleeping capacity, i.e., number of people that are able to sleep in the motorhome. The number of people traveling in the campervan should not exceed the number of seat belts in the campervan as required by law.
The number of seat belts may differ from the number of people a campervan will sleep. An agency may refuse a rental should more people than the campervan seats arrive at pick-up.

How much space do you need?

Consider who is travelling, and make sure the campervan you hire has the appropriate bedding configuration (2 couples may have different bedding requirements to a family or a group of single friends). The space you need will also depend on the needs of the individual travellers. If you’re a family with young kids, it’s a good idea to get a campervan with two separate living areas, and sleeping areas at opposite ends of the campervan.

Is there a minimum rental period?

For most campervans, the minimum rental period is 5 days for a round trip hire and 7 days for a one way hire. However, the minimum period for one way rentals is extended during holidays, ranging from 10 to 21 days.

What about the vehicle?

As well as staying in the campervan, you’re going to have to drive it! Do you need an automatic transmission or manual? Would you prefer a large powerful rig or one that’s small and easy to park?

Where will you camp?

The facilities you need in your campervan will depend on where you’re planning to stay.

Serviced campgrounds

If you’re intending to camp at powered sites in camping grounds or holiday parks every night, you’ll be able to use appliances such as microwaves and electric heaters, but you can get away without an onboard bathroom.

Save money at campgrounds and holiday parks with the Top Ranked NZ Deals Pass.

Freedom camping / DOC campsites

To be allowed to stay in most of DOC and freedom campsites, we'll need to have a certified self-contained vehicle.
You’ll also need decent kitchen and bathroom facilities onboard, as well as a diesel or gas heater if you’re travelling in the cooler months.

Get the official DOC Conservation Campsite Pass to support conservation and experience the natural beauty of New Zealand.

Avoid camping fines, make sure where you know where you are allowed to freedom camp. Use our Respect map, the only official map that’s approved by every council representative in NZ!

Download our free application Camping NZ, so you can find all camping locations, even offline.

Is it a good idea to travel in winter?

If you’re travelling in winter, you’ll need to keep warm. Make sure you choose a vehicle that’s fully insulated and has heating. Unless you’re planning to stay in camping grounds and plug into power every night, you’ll need gas or diesel heating. A drying room in the vehicle can also be very handy, particularly if you’re planning on going skiing or surfing.

How does the diesel heating work?

A minimum of 11.5 volts is required on your auxiliary [house] battery for ignition, there needs to be more than a quarter tank of diesel in your fuel tank.
Generally it will take 1 litre of diesel to heat your motorhome for 4 hours, to a moderate temperature.

Can I go everywhere with my campervan?

New Zealand still has some unsealed roads. Many campervan companies restrict access to some roads – the most common ones to be restricted are Skippers Canyon Road near Queenstown, Ball Hut Road at Mt Cook, north of Colville on the Coromandel Peninsula, and Ninety Mile Beach in Northland. If you’re planning to visit these or any other remote area, make sure you choose a campervan rental company that allows you to take your campervan there.

Do I need on-road assistance?

Unless you have lots of time and can afford unexpected mishaps, it’s a good idea to make sure your campervan rental company provides 24 hour on-road assistance and a helpline, in case you have any problems. This means you have someone to contact if you have any mechanical problems with your vehicle on the road, or if you have any questions about how to operate the campervan itself.

What equipment will be provided?

Not all New Zealand campervan companies are created equal when it comes to equipment! Some include everything you need such as towels and linen, kitchen equipment and cooking utensils, while others will charge extra for these. Also consider add-ons like child or baby seats, picnic tables or GPS systems. If you need them, make sure your campervan rental company provides them.