143 Rankers Reviews
Enjoy the history and geothermal attractions on a boat cruise around beautiful Lake Rotomahana. Learn about the important role this Lake has in New Zealand’s history.
Explore this amazing, natural environment that has been unaltered by man since its creation in 1886. The youngest of New Zealand's large, naturally formed lakes, Lake Rotomahana is New Zealand's original tourist attraction. During the 19th Century, visitors travelled to Rotomahana attracted by the legendary pink and white terraces which were destroyed in 1886. You can choose the boat cruise only or add the boat cruise to your walking tour. See below for departure times.
Rotomahana is one of the deepest lakes in NZ’s North Island. It is protected as a wildlife refuge, and large numbers of birds live here all year round. Beautiful geothermal springs and geysers display along the south west shoreline. It will always remain as one of NZ’s beautiful, unspoilt, natural wilderness areas.
The cruise is 45 minutes long. There is English spoken commentary on every cruise. Transport is provided from the entrance to the boat jetty and return after the cruise. Prior bookings for this option may be necessary in peak seasons between November and March each year.
Features & Highlights
- 45 minute boat cruise with audio commentary
- Learn about the history and eruption of Mt Tarawera that formed Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Sites of the World Famous Pink & White Terraces that were covered by the eruption in 1886
- Rediscover the Pink and White Terraces with Augmented Reality App
- Star Hill Crater - the site of the first bit of regenerating plant life
- Fumarole Bay Donne Cliffs
- Wildlife refuge
- Unspoilt, natural wilderness
- Amazing numbers of birds
under 6 years FREE entry with adult
(2 adults & 3 children)