Number of tent sites: 49 (maximum of 192 people).
Water from tap
The Motuihe campsite is divided into five different areas, or 'pods':
- Confidence Site (3 tent sites), on the western side of the sealed road, 25m uphill from the toilet block.
- Parade Ground (28 tent sites), on the headland above wharf road. Follow the timber box steps 100m west of the toilet block.
- Captain Camping (8 tent sites), located at the end of the sealed road, uphill and to the left (325m).
- Puriri Ridge (5 tent sites), south of the sealed road amongst the puriri trees. Go uphill and around to the left (250m).
- Range Site (5 tent sites), south of the water tank tower. Go left off the sealed road (375m).
Bring a torch–there is no power supply or light at this campsite. No generators.
Pack in, pack out. There is no rubbish removal service on this island - please take your rubbish with you.
Motuihe is free of animal pests and the native wildlife present on the island is dependent on your help to keep it that way. There is a very real risk that rats, mice and other pests could be transported to the island in your belongings.
18 years and over.
5-17 years. 0-4 years are FREE.
Thanks to all the good people working for the NZ Department of Conservation - for all your hard work - making NZ more beautiful, accessable and healthy! Cheers 😍