My name is Hana Sky Walker and I am the creative director of Tipuna Tours. I come from a family that values our culture, language and identity very much. Tipuna translated in Māori means ancestor. Growing up in Uawa – Tolaga Bay, my siblings and I were exposed to so many rich and magical learning experiences throughout the East Coast.
Throughout the years I watched Aunty Anne, my parents, uncles and aunties share our tribal stories about our place with visitors from near and far.
In our spare time, you will catch me up the hill or in the rockpools down at the beach with my husband Liam and two little ones or out with friends wining and dining at some of our fine local hot spots.
We look forward to welcoming you here!
Discover the rich cultural history with a local guide
Our local history tour involves bi-cultural perspectives of the first encounters by Captain James Cook and his crew with local Tangata Whenua (people of the land) in 1769.
History and stories shared to explore the notion of Aotearoa New Zealand’s dual heritage (colonial and indigenous) and shared future.
Tour duration is approximately 5 hours and requires a moderate level of fitness.
- Guests collected from hotel accommodation in Gisborne
- Guided tour begins in Gisborne continuing along State Highway 35
- Enjoy a 45-minute scenic coastal drive to Uawa – Tolaga Bay
- 45-minute hike over to the Cooks Cove Walkway
- Visit landmark Te Pourewa (Carved Beacon of Light) and Cooks Cove Lookout
- Journey on to Opoutama, take in the impressive views of the hole in the wall, the bay and visit - Tupaias cave
- Guests escorted back to Gisborne