Maui is an experienced and trusted New Zealand motorhome rental brand, having delivered great self-drive holidays for over 25 years. Maui's range of 2, 3, 4, and 6 person motorhomes feature contemporary design and spacious beds - allowing you to experience New Zealand in superior comfort and style. Maui thinks of everything - apartment styled kitchen equipment (including essentials such as wine glasses, china crockery, coffee plunger), freshly laundered bedding and linen, plus a range of other useful items for a worry-free self-drive journey around New Zealand.
376 reviews with the most recent first, showing page 1 of 63.
Despite having an appointment time to pick up our motor home the pick up area was completely swamped when we arrived. . They did not have enough people working to process everyone. We waited four hours to get our motorhome, which ate up a half day of our vacation. When we went through the motorhome neither the fresh water nor the wastewater indicators were operating. This didn’t seem to be an issue for the staff.
The motorhome itself was older than anticipated and lacked basic features such as Bluetooth capability. It was well used with chipped counters, cracked stairs and not very clean.
There were also a lot of hidden expenses not included in the original quote.
We loved the freedom of having a motorhome and it was the best way to see the country. I think that there needs to be a bit more attention to detail considering these trips are often once in a lifetime.
Save up to 70% on campsite fees! Support conservation and experience the natural beauty of NZ. 96 Department of Conservation campsites, one convenient pass.
Once booking a Maui meant quality, now that THL has taken over Maui, Britz, Mighty, et al you cannot be assured of a quality vehicle. With our Maui 4 berth (less than 2.5 year old) we encountered the following problems:
1. The fridge constantly drained power when not connected to power or on the road. It would simply stop working when freedom camping even for one night.
2. There was a foul smell coming from BEHIND the fridge that was forced through the entire van except when the fridge stopped working.
3. there were no fly screens on the windows next to the dinette behind the cab, we had to buy fly wire and tape to create a make shift solution.
4. The cord to connect to power kept shorting out on our first night and my husband had to re-wire it - it looked like some one had previously driven off without disconnecting.
5. A shelf in the fridge (again) door had obviously been repaired but mould was growing in the gap between the shelf and the door.
6. Sink in bathroom was dirty (especially around the tap)
7. Staff seem very nice but out of their depth and under-resourced.
8. The fact that there are now a number of providers advertising high quality vehicles seems to confirm my view that Maui et al (THL) are offering second rate vehicles (but not at a budget price).
9. This vehicle was supposed to be less than 2.5 years old! The age is not the issue, if it had been maintained appropriately and not been treated as a money spinner
Access savings worth hundreds of $$ on Top Ranked NZ Accommodation and Activities for just $1 per day.
Maui Elite Cascade campervan - it’s a 4 berth and was great for 2 people. We had another friend join half way along our trip and it was noticeably tighter and more difficult to keep clean, but sleeping arrangements were still very comfortable. Maui were very brief with their tour of the van on pick-up. We would have liked more explanation of how to use the vehicle and given a copy of theIr pre-damage assessment.
Everything worked. Excellent use of the space. Clean. Collection and drop off centres had free coffee and water. There is also a dump station and bins at the drop off at Auckland airport and a really cheap petrol station opposite the drop off too.
We are travelling with a Maui River Motorhome. Very happy with Maui service. Although we had some trouble with the van and equipment, the Maui team were very helpful and kind.
Danny van Meel
Great service, it was crowded but we got our motorhome pretty quickly. Airport shuttle, free coffee and brochures of the area. Would recommend them for sure!
We at Rankers NZ, love to meet travellers on the road and share in some of the freedom. That's why Rankers NZ invites you to come and stay for free at our chill riverside overnight parking area in the Motueka Valley at the top of the South Island.